Learning from your mistakes

Fionnbarr - Atlanta, Georgia

I believe that you learn from your mistakes. Throughout my life, I’ve realized that looking back at your failures and giving up on yourself means you will never grow or change, and will continue to repeat those mistakes. However, if you look at your past mistakes as a learning experience, then strive not to repeat the same actions; it will encourage you and will bring great success.

In my experiences, and likely every one else’s, I’ve realized no matter what happens in life, mistakes will always be made. Since no one can live a flawless life, I believe you have to make the best of it by learning from those mistakes. I myself would not have had as great a life if berated myself for my failures and nor tried to learn anything from them.

When I was in 5th grade, my dad took me skiing for the first time. On my first day there, I was impatient and aggravated by my inability to do anything right. I kept falling down flat faced in the snow. Initially, I felt like just quitting and kept saying there was no point in continuing this since I was just failing. However, I continued learning and realized that the mistakes I made helped me improve. The instructor pointed out that I would unknowingly tap my skis too close and hard together while turning causing me to fall. Upon realizing that mistakes, it made me aware to try and not do it again, and then I got better and better as I practiced.

I look to this principle of learning as a way of making the best out of my school life as well. In my opinion, learning from your mistakes is one of the best ways to succeed in academics. An example of this is when I do homework for one class and when I get it back, I get some answers wrong. Then I’ll look over see my mistakes and when the test comes along, I now am aware of the correct answer and will do better.

We are all human, and there fore it is inevitable that we will all make mistakes. I believe the only way we can live successfully is to accept our flaws and work to make the best in every situation in our life. Even when things turn out wrong, we should understand what we did wrong that time and then make sure things turn out better next time.