financial aid

Amanda - Newbury Park, California

College is a game with losers and winners. If you grew up poor, and not able to have clothing, food, shelter, or any needs than you are considered eligible for financial aid and in my book are considered a winner. If you grew up rich, where you mom and dad bought you everything you did not need, things absurd like a new BMW at fourteen then college tuition is not an issue for you and I consider you a winner too. Yet, for the “middle-class” kids, like myself. The price of college can determine whether or not you go to your first choice school. Tuition is rising and rising every year, and because my family makes what the government calls “rich”, I have no luck getting any financial aid from universities. I am a white, catholic, blonde haired, blued eyed girl who has both parents and lives in a nice neighborhood. There was no serious causalities or experiences I have, and the government says that because I do not have anything worth needing money for that I should get no financial aid.

I live in an apartment in what is considered to be a wealthy town; my mom has to work two jobs to afford where we live, and my dad works at least twelve hours a day. All of the money that my parents have goes towards our bills, food, clothing, and rent for our apartment they do not have an extra $20,000 dollars a year for my education. I feel guilty when they talk about going to UCLA and USC because that money could be better spent on different things we might need in the future. I could not ask for anything more than what we have, yet they insist on helping me.

I believe that my family is one of the strongest families in our neighborhood, and if I could only bring a financial aid counselor to my house, and see how my day truly is then maybe I would get financial aid. However, this is not a perfect universe and life does not occur like that. I need to have something wrong with me, and I need a completely different life, but I love mine. College is a dream that I have planned forever but now I am getting stopped by the financial aid “officer” and they are not letting me through the doors of higher education.