Nature’s Plan

Doug - Bowie, Maryland
Themes: nature

For Years I have been inspired by the study of philosophy and religion. However I have also been disappointed by the tendency of people to form camps around a group of thoughts and to diminish the humanity of those in other camps. So I have sought to create a view of things based on observable facts that would be available without the need for religious teachings.

I believe that nature has a plan for life and that we may catch a glimpse of this plan if we look at the history of life on Earth. Life seems compelled to produce ever more elaborate senses with which to know the world around it. From simple plants that can touch the ground and feel the sun and rain to animals which have developed an armada of senses to capture the tastes, smells, sounds and sights that fill our universe.

The most fascinating of all these senses must be the sense of self. For only since the development of self-consciousness has there existed the most mysterious force in nature, the force of choice or free will. Even though we have extended our senses to the far reaches of the universe with the use of telescopes and satellites, and probed into the very heart of the particles that compose matter, we have not found another place where the laws of nature provide the opportunity for conscious choice.

Though it may seem arrogant to some, I believe this is the essence of a very special place that humans occupy in our universe. In all the rest of nature, objects react without error to the forces that act upon them. Yet within humans there exists the opportunity to decide among possible options and act in a way that we choose.

This opportunity along with our sense of self gives humans the possibility of creating meaning with their lives. By considering how our actions may affect the universe and deciding to act in a way that will affirm life or diminish suffering we can choose to participate in nature’s plan. In participating we become part of more than just our individual selves. Perhaps even part of a greater being, but for sure we can find a satisfaction not available to other creatures.

I believe that with the simplest choices we can guide the path of the whole universe.