Hershey’s Kiss

Alyssa - Lakewood, California

Every person has their weakness. It’s that one thing that our bodies and minds yearn for and are willing to do anything to get it no matter the circumstances. That one thing that never leaves our mind and distracts us from everything we do. It’s that little monster on our backs persuading us to get up off of our butts and get it, even though we know that we don’t need it. For some women it’s money, for some it’s fame, for some it’s diamonds but my devilish craving is a little bit easier to reach. While fame, fortune, and diamonds are commonly known cravings, my one and only desire is chocolate. Weaknesses can often be perceived as negative things, but I believe the opposite; I believe that chocolate can cure the soul.

We all have our bad days and ironically one of mine was at “the happiest place on earth”, Disneyland. Walking the park nonstop for hours, my friends and I felt as if the force of gravity doubled requiring us to haul our feet for miles. All of the whining babies, people screeching at the top of their lungs, and little girls tugging on their mom’s shirts wailing at them to fix their princess dresses left our ear drums ringing. We couldn’t handle the sounds anymore and my desire for chocolate overwhelmed me leaving me in a dreadful mood. I figured since you’re required to eat at least one ounce of dark chocolate a day to make your heart stay strong, I’d be doing myself a favor by treating myself to a chocolate bar from a nearby sweet shop. I dragged my friends along and once we entered the bakery the aroma filled our noses and my heart melted away from the sweet smell of freshly made chocolate. I couldn’t resist the temptation of buying more than an ounce and being unable to savor every single piece, so I splurged a little for the day and bought milk chocolate instead. Once I placed the heavenly portion on my tongue my world spun completely around. The smoothness of the chocolate melted away in my mouth leaving my tongue craving for more. Before I knew it all of my chocolate had disappeared and my desires were fulfilled, as well as my friends’. As we departed from the store we skipped down Main Street arm in arm with huge smiles on our faces. There were so many things we wanted to do now! We had so many options to choose from: should we go on Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Thunder Mountain, or Indiana Jones? We had endless possibilities and new positive outlooks on the things that we were able to do all because of the chocolate.

Some people may think that I’m crazy enough to believe that chocolate transformed our entire day, but the little things in life can make a huge difference. Whether it’s changing our outlooks at Disneyland, getting me to complete my essay for English, or allowing me finish a really sad movie chocolate has always stuck by my side. Even though it may be my weakness, why dwell on the bad things it has to offer rather than all of the benefits? When in doubt, I truly believe that chocolate always cures the soul.