A Mother is a Girl’s Best Friend

Megan - Wilmington, Massachusetts

It’s funny how so far throughout my life my feelings towards my mother have changed completely. Growing up my parents were like my idols; I wanted to be just like Mom and Dad. But then I reached the teenage years and they became my worst enemies, particularly my mother. She kept me from doing what I wanted and she was constantly haunting me about what I was doing wrong. But in life most kids reach a certain point when suddenly their parents don’t seem so evil. Suddenly they realize that everything their parents have done was done for a reason. I know that most girls throw around the term “best friend” to describe the person they are closest with at the time. Most people define “best friend” as someone who cares about them, someone who loves them for who they are, and someone who they can trust. And though friends may come and go there is always someone who has stood by me throughout it all. In that case, I believe that a mother is a girl’s best friend.

My mother has been there for me since day one…literally. She was always there to feed me, bathe me, dress me; legitimately do everything for me. She was there for me when I cried, took care of me when I was sick, and taught me what it meant to be a good person. She instilled beliefs into my head that have helped me to make healthy and wise choices (though I’ll admit I’ve made some VERY stupid decisions as well.) She made me realize why I should try to get boys to respect me rather than to resort to promiscuous ways to get attention. She motivated me to do well in school and still does. All thanks to her I know I will go somewhere in life as she has kept me from straying too far from the right path.

Of course my mother and I have never had a perfect relationship. There’s been times when we hated each other and there have been times when we’ve said terrible things to each other. The main reason me and my mother fight worse than I fight with any of my friends is because we are so close. We know we will always have each other so we aren’t fake to one another. We argue and disagree all the time. But I think what makes her the best friend I have is the fact that I’m not afraid to voice my opinion to her and I know she will always give me her honest opinion in return. I also know that if I upset her she will have no problem telling me and she isn’t afraid to tell me off.

My mother is someone who can give me the best advice because everything I am going through she has already been through. She can tell me her opinions based on experience not just based on what she believes. She is realistic and tells me when I am being too naive or passive about things. She is wise and I know that although I may not always agree with her, she is looking out for my best interest.

If I was to define my best friend as someone who would do anything for me, how could it not be my mother? She would go to the end of the world for me. She works full time to support me and my sister. She buys us things we need and drives us whenever we need rides. She cleans up after us a lot of the time and cooks for us. Most of her life is spent caring for me and my sister. I love my other friends but I can’t say the same for them. In the end there will only be one person who has always been there. And that’s my mom. I believe a mother is a girl’s best friend.