I Believe Time is Precious

Lauren - Lemon Grove, California
Themes: carpe diem

I believe time is precious. Some people just use time and waste it. They should really be thinking of what the best way is to use their time. No one knows when something life-changing might happen and become an effect on you. Especially when the life-changing matter is death.

When I was a sophomore in high school, only two years ago, my grandmother passed away from kidney failure. I never had someone so close to me pass away that I had known for my whole life and old enough to know what was going on.

Every time I think about her passing, I regret a lot of things. I regret how I did not talk to her as much as I could have spent time with her, during and before she got sick. I regret how the last time I saw her, I should have prayed harder so she could have lived longer. I regret not wanting to go shopping with her and my mom every Saturday or Sunday before she got sick. I should have used that time to learn more about my grandmother’s life. I would do anything to spend more time with her again. Anything.

But I know I can not regret those things, and regret doing them because it is in the past and there is nothing I can do about it now. I know that I can look back and be happy enough to know that I did use my time with her and it was a great deal of my time. Also, what helps is knowing that when she was sick in and out of the hospital for a year, I went to see her every single day.

Time is precious. So precious many people do not even realize. No one should waste their time because they do not know what to expect in the next few seconds, days, weeks, months, or years. Everyone should take each second in their life and use it wisely and how they want it. But do not waste it! I take time with people around me because no one knows, besides God, how long I will be with them. You are going to have regret no matter what, but it can be diminished, and will be able to feel relief and happiness knowing the time spent with that someone. I try to not spend my life making wrong and negative decisions when knowing what is better because I would be wasting my time. I will receive greater rewards if I do what is right and better. No one can go back in time and re-live the things that have already happened, so use time to make life good and better, if they are not already. I believe time is precious.