The real face of modern day technology

Swati - Ann Arbor, Michigan

Its amazing how simply in one or two generations a way of living can completley change. Yes we have progressed in these past years but have we really progressed? or have we taken a step further? I believe that some technology is taking us away from what i belive is to be humanity. I believe it is pushing ourselves away from our close ones, and making our generations miss the expieriences that we will learn from and remember all our life.

I remember my mother telling me about her childhood adventures in India . She told us that when she was a little girl, she and her friend would save up all their money for the summer. When the summer came, both my mom and her friend spent all their money doing something fun. The would go over to the street carnival and keep riding the merry go round or go to the ice cream vendor and eat icream. She told us that one time her and a bunch of friends had water balloons and went all the way up to the roof of the building. When someone walked by they would throw the balloons near them to get them to jump and when they looked up, they hid. It was all fun and games and she says that was the best time of her life, just being young

Now here come the ipods and the videogames and ofcourse the almighty Facebook. We kids spend most of our time on technoligies like these becuase of the addiction. If you havent noticed, teens these days have become more distant from their families, and why? Simply because they listen to music all day or learn how to kill the monster in their videogame or sit around all day on facebook when it could be a wonderfull day outside! Take me for example, when i first got introduced to facebook i was on there for most of my afternoon. I procrastinated from work, I spent less time with my family and I had a tendency of coming into a bad mood. One night i was in the process of reflection. I was thinking about my 8th grade summer. We went upnorth and stayed in a cabin where there was no internet, no ipod, no nothing. just my family, the lake, and a wondefull day. Boy did we have an adventure everytime we wnet up north. My 8th grade summer happened to involve an alligator which turned out to be a log! That memory got stuck in my head like ink stays on paper. And I was pleased to have an expierience like that. On the computer or in videogames I could never have such a memorable expierience as i had with my family. that reflection made me realize what i was missing. In the morning i froze my own account, wich is unthinkable for teens my age. I became happier, spent more time with my family and friends, went to the park and played some flag football and had many more stories to tell. Now, without those manmade computers, i feel like i am living life!