I Believe in Honesty

Jordan - Brazoria, Texas
Themes: integrity

I believe that an important characteristic in a human being is honesty.

I have taken this quality very seriously. I would have never realized how important it is to be honest if it weren’t for my parents. I was brought up in church and we attended every Sunday as a family. After being in so involved in church, it was as if God had given me the gift of an extremely aware conscience.

My mom and dad have always told me that it is better to tell the truth and accept the consequences rather than lying and being found guilty. It is not always easy to tell the truth even though in the end the outcome is better. I have tried to keep secrets from my parents before but I am never successful. Even though my conscience rules most of my decision-making I still make errors everyday.

My mom and dad are like my friends. I always turn to them when I’m in trouble. They usually know when something is wrong so I’m doomed from the start. Once they see that I’m obviously guilty of something they begin to ask questions. When they do I turn red in the face and start to cry. That’s when I just “spill the beans” because I can’t take all of the guilt any more. I always regret not telling my parents up front what I did. I usually make my self suffer a few day to help build up the confidence to talk to them. If I just tell them the mistake I made they really aren’t that hard on me. I am a lot harder on my self.

I have high expectations for myself and so does my family. When I blunder I tend to blow the situation out of proportion in my mind. For example, when I was little I had my very own Bible. In this Bible I wrote the names of my best friend’s on the back page. One of my friends told me that it was a sin to write in a Bible. I felt horrible! When I was little I never did anything bad so this was a big deal for me. I dreaded the thought of my parents seeing these kid’s names. I would put my Bible in my desk drawer hoping that they would not see it. After about a week I broke down and said, “Daddy I’m so sorry” and began to cry. He ask me what had I done wrong. I told him that I wrote in the back of my Bible. When my dad heard this he said, “ It’s okay to write in your Bible. Why are you so up set?” I told him about the friend that told me I had sinned. Daddy said that my friend didn’t know what she was talking about. So once again, I blew my mistake out of proportion by not asking if I was wrong or not.

If you are honest people will have more respect for you and you are more likely to stay out of trouble. I know that I always rely on my honest conscience to help me make decisions. I think everyone should think that honesty is a superior quality.