Deana - Dripping Springs, Texas
Themes: golden rule

The accumulated years of my school experience have taught me many things, but what resonates most in mind to this day is the fact that sometimes good people are persecuted while the perpetrators are never caught, and those that quietly toil away trying their best are often overlooked in favor of the troublesome ones who announce to the world their every improvement. I was told as a child that life is not fair, but I have always wondered why it can’t be. Why people argue and hurt each other for the most menial of reasons, I simply cannot understand. It is and has always been one of my most firm beliefs that one should treat people the way he or she wishes to be treated in return. This principle has been referred to as “The Golden Rule” in business practices where officials must think about how a new regulation they are implementing would apply to and affect them before they enforce it on those in their employ. The belief “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” has been my ever present creed and I have tried to live by it each day. It does not always work because life truly is not fair, but that hasn’t changed my opinion. More often than not, when I treat people with respect and kindness, that is what is returned to me. If I take into account how my choices will affect others, I am less likely to find myself in a situation where there is complaint of unfair or uncaring treatment.

My belief seems very simple, but in a world of constantly shifting human emotions, it is more difficult that it should be to hold true to this conviction. This was reassured in me when I once passed around a piece of information to some friends about something my roommate had done. When my roommate discovered what I had said, she felt I had betrayed her trust and was hurt. At the time, I didn’t realize it was something she wanted kept secret. I thought it was “no big deal,” but then when I thought about it, I realized my grave error. If it were me that had done what she had done, would I have wanted someone telling people about it? The answer was no. Fortunately, I was able to learn through my mistake and recognize that I had violated my own belief by circulating that information that day, and I deeply regretted it. Thankfully, I was forgiven by my roommate and our friendship endured, but it was reaffirmed that I should continue to treat others as I would wish to be treated if I was to continue to lead the life I felt was right. If all people chose to welcome this belief, then perhaps the world might be a more peaceful and cooperative place.