Reputation and Respect

Tabitha - Jefferson City, Missouri

Reputation and Respect

“When a leopard dies, it leaves its skin; when a person dies he leaves his reputation.” This is a Chinese proverb. This is true about my father. My father from far back as I can remember any stories about him, he was somewhat of a good man.

According to my mother, he was a very friendly and outgoing person, he was very well groomed. He also was a very hard worker and he respected other people and their property; and he also tried to be fair with the citizens within the limits of the law.

My father was a Callaway County police officer. My father was a police officer for 13 years before he got sick. He gave citizens warnings, and he also arrested a few, but my father was well known. No matter whom you ask around Callaway County they knew my father.

When my parents were in high school he and my mother started dating. My dad dropped out of school and joined the army. He was only in for 2 years but he went to Vietnam in the last year of the war. In the year 1968, my father and mother were married.

Fifteen years later, they adopted me. I was five years old at the time. Through my younger years, I don’t remember much about my father and our relationship except that we did not talk a whole lot, apparently I was scared of men at that time. What I do remember about my high school years is that I was in choir and a Varsity Boys Cheerleader. I can remember that he came to a few of my extracurricular activities only because he was working a lot.

But I am so glad that he was there for me when I needed him the most, like at my eighth grade graduation and my senior graduation. He did come to a few of my games that I cheered at and a few of my choir concerts. My dad also taught me a few things, like how to drive, buck hay, and to fish. Although he worked a lot, we did spend time together, and I loved every (hour) of it.

When my father was really sick, I moved back home and took care of him. I was also about six months pregnant at the time. He was so sick that he would fall out of bed a few times and I had to pick him up off the floor. But I believe he was a good man with lots of respect from many citizens, so when I took care of him I tried to give it all back.

Now that this is what I have learned from him, I would like to do the same for my kids. Hopefully, I can get my schooling done in time so I can be there a lot more for my kids and teach them the same things and if not more than what my dad has done for me. I would love to teach them so many things, that they would know what to do in life and have the same reputation as my father and I.