I Believe in learning from my mistakes

Jordan - Brazoria, Texas

I Believe

I believe in learning from my mistakes. In life, it is inevitable to make mistakes. Without making the mistakes, I have I would not have learned. Sometimes it is good to do something wrong and then realize it and accept the consequences instead of repeatedly making bad choices.

One of my biggest mistakes was lying to my parents. One night I walked into my living room and my mom asked to see my phone. Of course, I couldn’t tell her that I didn’t want her to see it, so before I handed it to her I quickly deleted my text messages. She knew I was hiding something when she saw that there was no messages, but I simply told her “nothing.” She was very disappointed in me and grounded me. For two months it was no TV, no weekend privileges, and worst of all, they took away my phone. Later that night, my mom came in my room to talk to me about why I had lied to her and all I told her was I didn’t know why. I knew for a fact why I did it. I did not want her reading what I was texting people and most importantly, I didn’t want her in my business. I lied to my mom straight to her face. A couple days later I came to realization that I couldn’t keep it a secret anymore. I finally decided that I should tell my mom so I told her the truth. After the long talks that my parents and I had about lying, I finally understood that it was not worth it. It was definitely a learning experience for me, one that I do not planning on going through again.

When I was little I always was getting into trouble. My parents always had to tell me to clean up the mess I made or stop pestering the animals. I even colored on the wall in my room once. When I was little I didn’t know any better. My parents would punish me and tell me “no.” That’s how I learned. It is the “little things” that I learned as a child that I will take with me for the future.

I have made countless mistakes in my past, and I know that I will make more in the future. I think life is one big learning experience. You have to take life as is comes and I am learning as I grow older. Sure I have made mistakes, but nothing that I regret. If I wouldn’t have done the things I have and made the mistakes I have I wouldn’t have learned important life lessons. I have learned from my mistakes, that’s what I believe.