Listen and Silent are Spelled with the Same Letters

Nathan - Benton, Arkansas
Themes: work

Think about it for a moment. You’re in your classroom and the instructor is ranting off about something that involves Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War. And when she calls on you to answer something associated with how Mr. Abe ended the Civil War, you’re sitting there, dumbfounded, not knowing what to say. Simply because you chose to talk to your friend about how wasted you were during the past weekend. Something that could’ve waited until after the lesson. Seems to me like you’re wasting away your weekdays, too. And you wonder why you’re failing.

Shh. No need to get huffy with the instructor who just gave you detention for distracting the person next to you. It’s your own fault. Just be silent and listen. Instead of shoving this passage aside to text your friend and tell him how your “stupid” teacher gave you detention, be silent and listen to what I have to say.

I believe that “listen” and “silent” are spelled with the same letters for a reason; they have so much to do with one another. Take, for instance, the situation you had in the classroom. If you had been silent and listened, maybe you would’ve gained valuable knowledge about the Civil War. Okay, okay, maybe not valuable to you now, but when that test rolls around, you’ll thank yourself for doing so. Not to mention you won’t have detention the following day.

This theory of mine, it applies to anything that requires sociable listening skills. Anything from your father’s lecture or your mother’s scolding of getting in trouble at school. Take my advice; don’t tune them out and think about the coming weekend. You may be quiet with your tongue but your mind it’s mouth at a thousand miles an hour, begging your tongue to release its fury. Don’t think about what you want to say about your father’s “pointless” lecture. Refrain from cursing at your mother because she’s upset that she has to take you to school the next morning. Just be silent and listen. Your father’s lecture will benefit you in the long run, whether you believe it now or not. And of course, your mother’s scolding will make you feel terrible but showing your maturity and listening to what she has to say will soothe her. Whether it be ten minutes from now or ten days down the line.

I believe “listen” and “silent” are spelled with the same letters for a purpose. A purpose I was called to address to my readers. A purpose that up until now, I had no idea about.

If I knew how to be quiet, maybe I wouldn’t have got detention that day. If I only knew when to listen, maybe my father would have more respect for me. If I only knew when to be silent, maybe my mother would’ve cried one time less.

And if I knew then what I know now, maybe I wouldn’t be here, telling you what I learned. But if that was the case, who would be here to listen?