Be Thankful for Family

Katie - Wilmington, Massachusetts

Family is more than just the people with whom you share your DNA. Family are the people who know you inside and out and who are always on your side. I believe in being thankful for family. I love to look through family photo albums and watch old home videos. Each time I see a new one it makes me laugh. I have two younger sisters and my parents don’t even remember half of the crazy things we did when we were little. family happy.

On my dad’s side of the family there are seven cousins and every year we do something special for our nana. Last Christmas we decided to take home videos from when we were little and make one big DVD of memories that make us laugh. My mom as well as my aunt video taped us a lot, so to go through all those movies took hours. It was the eve of Christmas Eve when we finally started this tricky task. At first we were just looking at the tapes and laughing until our stomachs hurt. We found tapes of the boys (our cousins) singing Christmas carols and the girls (my sisters and me) dancing to the tunes of Annie. After looking came the hard part: picking which clips to put on. Again we went through the tapes and kept what we wanted. At that point it was 2 A.M. and we had been at it for 8 hours! Since we didn’t have a machine that could take the old cassettes and put them directly on to a DVD we had to first put them on a VHS tape.

We weren’t planning on starting it the day before we needed it to be ready and thought that we would be able to convert it to a DVD before that day came. But, before we knew it it was Christmas Eve. We were so excited when it came time for our Nana to open this gift that we worked so hard and long on. She opened it and didn’t yet know what the tape contained which made us get even more eager. We took the tape in to her living room, slipped it into the VCR and hit play. Everyone, including me, was expecting it to start and when it didn’t we immediately got nervous that all our hard work was for nothing. It wasn’t the tape, however, it was the VCR. When we tried to remove the tape from the VCR it would not come out and our nerves heightened once again. My dad said that force always works and then he ripped the top of the VCR off.

In the end it all worked out and the tape had our Nana in tears before the first clip was over. I believe that we should always do whatever we can to make family happy.