I Believe in the Earth

Brenda - Louisville, Kentucky

I believe that every now and then, nature lets us know who’s boss. After all, the earth with all its warts (earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, ice storms, etc) was here long before we humans tried to take it over. Just look around and take in the many good and beautiful things it has given us. And apparently it did not need our advice for millions of years.

Listening to the news tells me that we have really made a mess of things. We pompous humans have decided we know how to manage the resources of the earth. We have used the earth unmercifully. Now we’re talking about running out of oil. And by using up all this oil we have practically destroyed the atmosphere. Our chemical companies and others have used the earth’s streams and rivers to get rid of toxic waste which has poisoned aquatic life for 7000 square miles into the Gulf of Mexico from the Mississippi River. Corporate farms are huge and use all kinds of chemicals that grow profits but kill the soil. We have data that show normal cyclic changes are happening at lightening speed. Perhaps, because of our meddling, the poor earth can’t keep up and has lost its natural balance.

I believe the solution is respect. Many of us are changing our earth. We are currently thinking selfishly. But if we think about applying Natural Law, we would be respecting the earth. Natural Law is what the earth has been doing forever. Perhaps we should take our lead from the earth. What would the earth do?

Natural Law does not use toxic chemicals to grow food for us. Fertilizer is generously made by earth’s animals and decaying natural matter. Natural Law cleans the air when the trees produce food for themselves by photosynthesis. Natural Law gives us clean water when it rains or when ground water is filtered by the earth’s rocks.

Naturally our earth does so much for us. The ice storm this past winter took many trees in my neighborhood. But at the same time it gave us diamonds in the sky as the ice- covered limbs sparkled in the wind. To me, there is nothing more beautiful than the blooms of spring, even though we might also get ferocious storms. In summer, I love to play in my yard, planting and making beautiful places to share with friends. And the fall gives us a kaleidoscope of vibrant color! So, naturally, I believe we should be good to our earth!