You Can’t Lead a Group of No One

InMee - Cypress, California

Whether it be filling out volunteer forms for church camp or college applications, there is at least one question on every application that asks, “What leadership skills do you have?” Some people are born to lead; they are gifted with great words and speeches, or control and organization. But what about all those who weren’t? What about the large majority of human beings who can’t give a tremendous speech that will bring an audience to tears? Are they nobodies? Is a shy girl less qualified for everything because she has fewer leadership qualities?

First of all, what is a leader? There are inspirational leaders, dull leaders, and creative leaders. A productive leader is someone who can bring people together and make something happen. I’d like to focus in on one word in the definition of a productive leader: That word is people. A leader can’t be productive without people to bring together. You can’t lead a group of no one. For example, an orchestra can create music without a conductor, but a conductor can’t create music with out an orchestra.

Every Tuesday during my lunch break, I pile into a small classroom for Humanitarian Club. We make crafty cards for the soldiers in Iraq, send valentines to the elderly, and make blankets for cancer patients. The Club’s cabinet is excellent: they put together many worthwhile projects and invest there time and effort into the club’s success. And even after all of there hard work, the club isn’t a success. Yes, we’ve made blankets, but only two. We’ve made cards, but there are only half decent. The clubs failure can be traced back to the lack of devoted supporters. The bulk of the students who attend, come for the easy community service hours. Unless the members put the effort in, the club cannot make it of the ground. People could point there fingers at leader of the club, when it is really them who haven’t put in the time and the patience.

Yet I’ve been apart of clubs — I even was a president of one in middle school — and with little effort from the organizers, the clubs have accomplished so much. Each member decided to really be apart of the club, and make it there own. It was the support given by the individual that helped the club actually accomplish something. The leader is only responsible for a portion of the success of anything; it is the dedicated followers who take credit for the rest.

I believe in the power of the individual; if a person wants to see something happen, he does not need to look to the people above him, but look himself themselves. Maybe you have not been gifted leadership characteristics, but remember the power of you.