I Believe in Mathematics

Debebe - Denver, Colorado
Themes: science

I Believe in Mathematics

When I was seven years old, I was curiously watching a method of calculation which was commonly practiced in the village where I grew up. Culturally, money was counted by putting notes into groups of ten for simplifying the count. The money in groups of ten was then added and compared to the total count to check for accuracy. The appreciation accorded to individuals who were experts in counting inculcated in my mind a sense of love to learn modern mathematics and better my future life.

I come from economically and academically disadvantaged background. Both of my parents were peasants with seven children whom they could not afford to send to school. I was fortunately the only child allowed to go to school and I was able to complete grade 12 with excellent grades at the age of eighteen. Our family income was dependent on agriculture. Nevertheless, most of our land was confiscated by a sudden change of government. This situation brought a huge economic crisis to our family. Consequently, my dream of going to college to pursue my degree in mathematics and realize my vision was prematurely aborted.

Although my hope to join a university was curtailed, I was determined to work hard to educate myself. I used to communicate with teachers and college students to get mathematics textbooks whenever I got the chance and I kept on doing mathematics. In the meantime, I got a job despite my desire to join a university to pursue my studies. My salary was so meager that it would not suffice to cover college fees, which were pretty expensive. Alternatively, I began searching international opportunities and I applied to several scholarship offering organizations, but I could not obtain a positive response from any of them. Yet, mathematics remained my passion and the enthusiasm to accomplish my goals was intact.

Besides enabling me to hit the ultimate target of obtaining a better socio-economic status, mathematics interests me greatly as I do fairly well in it. Therefore, I have a strong conviction that in the near future, I will participate in the applied and academic research community of mathematics. My ambition to earn a college degree started to flourish when I became a permanent resident of the United States of America in September, 2004. I am currently studying at the Community College of Aurora to realize my desire to obtain my first degree in statistics.

Eventually, my intent is to pursue a PhD in applied mathematics. I hope that mathematics as a career can bring me immense academic satisfaction and a colossal difference in my life. Even though my prior attempts to obtain a first degree could not bear fruit when I was in my country, I am currently on the verge of realizing my vision at the age of forty-five years. I always believe that I can excel in mathematics, because I do have the talent and determination to successfully compete and deservedly earn good results.