Memory Loss Is Good For You

Caroline - Peachtree City, Georgia

I believe that a little memory loss is good for you. When I was in ninth grade, I baked a cake for one of my best friend’s birthdays. The night before, I told her that I had gotten her the best present, and her birthday was going to be so amazing. Of course, I hadn’t gotten her anything, and I didn’t know what her birthday was going to be like. But I planned on getting her something, what exactly, I had no idea. That night, as I preparing for bed, I remembered that her birthday was the next day. In a panic, and not knowing what to get her at 11:00 PM, I went downstairs and baked a cake. In the morning I made a glaze, since we had neither frosting nor ingredients to make frosting. Neatly, or in an attempt to be neat, I wrote “Happy Birthday, Janie” on it. It wasn’t a major accomplishment, in fact, I thought it was kind of ugly. But at least I had put in the effort, right?

I came to school with the cake in hand and gave it to Janie. It made her so happy. I will never forget the look on her face: sheer excitement. I was actually really nervous about how it would taste. It made me even more unsure when she shared it with our entire biology class. It ended up tasting good.

From then on I baked cakes for my close friends, and then for some of my other friends, and eventually I baked cakes for people that were complete strangers to me. And don’t worry, I got better at them. I have baked over 100 cakes in the past year. I find it funny. I don’t know why I like it so much, but I do. But the best part is not the mixing, or the baking, or the frosting, or the decorating. What I love so much about baking is the reaction of the person I give it to. It makes it all worthwhile.

And had I not forgotten to get a gift for my dear friend, Janie, I would have never gotten started. Lucky me, I should try forgetting things more often.