I believe life is what you make of it.

Christopher - taylors, South Carolina

I believe that life is what you make of it. I often hear people say, “If I could just get that job,” or “I’m too old to do that”. I say if you want to do something than get to doing it, whatever it maybe. As Nike would say “just do it,” and stop wasting time. Life can be funny and unforgiving at times and I’m sure that when the ride is over, most people will wish they could have or should have done more.

We don’t know how long the clock will tick or the doors that will open along the way, and that should motivate people, but it doesn’t. We get caught up in life not to be confused with living. One thing I’m sure of is, I’ve made mistakes and regret some of them, but not all of them. There are three quotes I carry with me at all times; the first is “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains, and is immortal.” The next two come from fortune cookies “Memories make what we are, dreams make what we’ll be.” The last is “A great man never ignores the simplicity of a child.” These quotes help to remind me of what I want out of life.

We all have things that we can use to say,” I can’t.” I grew up in the worst neighborhood in town. I had kids before I completed high school. The list could go on and on and everyone’s list is different, but what you have to remember is, life is short. The journey comes when you say “I can” and you really don’t know or can’t see the path, but you take the first step, then another, and before you know it, your there. See I was in the Army and learned two things. The first, you don’t know what people are capable of until they have no choice and a team can do anything. If one person can do something and things that were seemingly impossible have been done then one has to ask the question what is truly impossible. I’ve answered that question for myself and this is what I came up with. The outcome is equal to or greater than the work put forth. So life truly is not about the race, life is however, about the journey.

In closing, if a wall is in front of you climb it, go around it, and if all else fails go through it. No one is going to give you anything. Sitting around and waiting will only waste time. Make a decision and see it through, in the end you’ll be much happier with yourself. Life is what you make of it.