People Need to Express Themselves

Elisa - Wellesley, Massachusetts

“Shut up! You’re so annoying!

You know what? The last time I checked people encouraged children to express themselves as individuals!”

That was the most recent conversation I had with my brother. I was conveying my excitement through a rough version of the chorus in I Like Candy by Aaron Carter, by far my favorite song. When I began singing, I felt I was clearly expressing my happiness to the people around me. Singing is not the only way I show my emotions, other examples include my favorite hobby of dance or my random doodles I draw during class at school. In whatever way I put across my feelings it always helps to reduce the stress and anxiety my everyday life creates.

This is why I believe freedom of expression is the most important liberty a person can have. If someone was to live their life holding all their emotions in and not allowing themselves to show how they really felt they would probably burst. Not only that, but they would almost certainly become tired from carrying a large amount of emotional weight, day after day.

Someone who I believe expresses themselves in a unique way is my brother. He loves to draw, do pottery, and even spray paint. Even though his creations are beautiful, at times some can be graphic or gory. For example one picture may contain body parts and another can have dead bunnies. But most importantly he loves what he does and people who see his work love it too. He has won awards from Artist of the Month at his High school to a Gold Key award for the district. As a growing artist, my brother has faced a lot of opposition that slows him down. For example, when he brought home a picture of an eye ball hanging from a wire hook with a ripped off nose next to it my mother was shocked. At first she did not speak, but as she began to calm down she realized she didn’t want her son to draw pictures like these. They were horrible and scary, and she didn’t want other people to think her son was a lunatic. She asked him why he was creating this type of art. He didn’t know what to say, it hurt him to know that his own mother didn’t respect his work. Though he didn’t have my mother’s support at first he continued to excel at drawing and painting. As I watched him work I realized how much effort he put into each and every picture he made. I learned that his artwork was the way he expressed himself and his feelings. Though his work may not be the most comfortable pictures to look at they can still be appreciated as a form of expression.

After all, how people convey their emotions and feelings is an essential aspect of their lives, even if it is a crazy dance or a rendition of the chorus in their favorite song.