Eternal Youth

Adriana - Yardley, Pennsylvania
Themes: children

I will always be amazed by children. There’s something about them, maybe their innocence, that gives them such freedom that few others are able to posses. It is in that freedom where one can truly stop and be amazed by life.

I love observing babies when they discover the world around them. I admire their curiosity for simple things. How different life would be if I was still astounded by the fact that I can control my hands and fingers.

Not long ago, I was babysitting a nine month old. She was on her way to mastering crawling and would rapidly take off towards anything that caught her attention. On that particular day, she spotted a tiny piece of paper on the floor, about fifteen feet away from where we were sitting. I don’t know why it mesmerized her, but she rushed across the floor, her mind set on holding that strange, little item. Once she had it in her hand, she simply sat there looking at it and began singing to it! Such was the joy she found in acquiring that little speck of what anyone else might call trash.

I believe in eternal youth.

Sometimes I wish I was daring enough to leave everything behind and begin a quest for the fountain of youth. Drinking from its waters would be my only mission. But then I remind myself that the fountain only exists in dreams.

Unfortunately, I cannot control time or age; nonetheless, I plan to remain young at heart forever.

By being young forever, I can admire the simple things surrounding me. I can appreciate a speck of dust floating in the air or a ray of sunlight through my window. I can be filled with joy by something that others take for granted. I can believe in the goodness of people, despite the many actions that prove otherwise. I can focus on problems that I can solve, instead of being overwhelmed by the infinite list of things I cannot change. I can dance, sing, and jump with joy. I can free my mind of worries and throw my head back and laugh. But, more importantly, I can spread that bliss to others and slowly make the world bloom.