Ant Farms

Chris - Waterford, Pennsylvania

This I Believe; I believe in Communism. Not that others practice it but that the idea of Communism is supreme as a government. I believe in the true communism, the thought that everyone should sustain one another, that no one should go hungry. That no one should be homeless.

In Democracy everyone thinks about themselves. People work every day to benefit the lives of others, it’s all for money. I believe in a community, that everyone should look out for each other. In democracy a poor farmer with a sick child faces the issue, “does he find a doctor and face debt and bankruptcy to pay for the procedures my child needs?” or does the fwarmer let his child get sicker and sicker until eventually dying? That is the problem with Democracy but in Communism the doctor would feel no need to charge the farmer thousands of dollars. People say that we shouldn’t be communistic because there is something “wrong” with a doctor and a gas station clerk making the same amount of money. If a person can only pump gas then they should pump gas; if a person wants to save lives they should save them. In Communism people look out for each other not just for them selves.

I believe the United States should be Communistic. As the USA is now there is a huge problem. How often does a family in the U.S. go without groceries because they need to pay a mortgage payment or a medical bill? Far too often, is the answer, if Communism were in place everyone would support one another. However where I live now, more often do I see two people fighting than helping each other. As a child often did my eyes see the world of nature so different than our own.

When I was a child, I became fascinated by the workings of insects. I remember sitting in the streets on a hot day and pouring a can of soda onto the pavement. The ants would run to that spot of sugary goodness in an instant to do whatever it is that ants do. Why is it that they did this I always wondered. One day I followed the ants back to their home and what did I discover? To my amazement ants did not live as a single ant or even two or three. Ants lived in a community, they supported one another, they protected each other. Everything belongs to the community and every ant tries to make it better. This was my first discovery of Communism in nature.

If human beings could only learn to be self-sacrificing noble creatures then they could live as the ants do. In America, if we lived as Communists then no one would go hungry. In America, if we lived as Communists then no one would be homeless. If American politicians were not greedy and looked out for the community of their nation Communism could live and survive in our rundown country.