Beauty comes from inside

Rieko - Bucharest, Romania

“Are you content being yourself?”

I believe in confidence. Whether you are black or white, yellow or blue, all of us are human. But as there is an English saying “Life isn’t fair”, some people are much prettier than others.

But I believe in a confidence that makes you look prettier than anyone else. I’ve been attending an International Christian school for the past three years. When I first came, I looked around and felt very new to everything and even the people I saw there had long Pinocchio noses, long legs, blonde hair, big colored eyes and happy colorful clothes.

However, I am very Asian. I have an Asian shaped-face, black thick hair, a pig nose, small cat eyes, big fat cheeks, short legs-basically the opposite of them. And even during lunch I always eat rice with seaweed and sometimes I eat noodles with making noises while others are eating pretty sandwiches and fruits. The students have asked me “Don’t you get sick and tired of eating rice?” “No, never ’cause I love rice,” I said, feeling a little bit annoyed.

But I know I shouldn’t care about these differences. I used to try as much as I could to be more European or American. I even dyed my hair to brown several times and I even tried to act like them. I tried to be as active as I could and I sometimes even ate my lunch with a fork instead of chopsticks. But that was totally wrong. My family eats rice everyday and for every meal. So why should I be so ashamed? Everyone is different and unique. I love rice and seaweed even if they make your nose like a pig’s or make your hair so black. I love being myself and I believe that if I have enough confidence, I won’t care anymore about what other people think of me or what they say about me. I have realized that I should be true to myself. I know I look best with my naturally black hair and my Asian shaped face. I want to be content with who I naturally am and with every action and attitude in my life.

I believe in confidence. I am the only me in this world and I know that there is no one exactly the same as me. And I am content being myself because I love everything I have been given from my parents. With confidence, I know I look very beautiful and can love myself just as I am.