Glad I Found the Time

Sarah - Bucharest, Romania
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the value of time.

“Busy” has become everyone’s one word alibi. We are sure to let everyone know just how time consuming our lives are, but what are we all doing that is so important? I have learned that I need to find time every day for the relationships in my life. I never want the people I love to think that I am too “busy” to care.

When I think back on my sister’s senior year in high school I realize it was undoubtedly her busiest. She was taking several difficult courses and played an active role in her class as well as on the school’s worship team. She taught me how to find time.

As the weeks turned into months, we began to realize that we didn’t have much time left until she was going to leave for college. We both agreed that we needed to share as much time together as we could before graduation came. But when? There never seemed to be enough time. Both of us had extracurricular activities every day and big homework loads at night. But when we went through our schedules, we saw that we had up to three hours of free time every evening. What were we doing to fill the space? Nothing. Eating after school snacks, watching TV, and going on Facebook. Hardly top priority activities.

We resolved to start our homework earlier in the day. This way, we had just enough time to get ready for bed and hide away in our room to munch on popcorn while we watched Prison Break. It was such a simple thing, watching a couple episodes of TV before we went to sleep, but it achieved so much more than just a thrill of suspense every night, it gave us time to spend together.

The moments of grabbing onto each other and screaming when we thought someone was going to die, the conversations spurred on by the twists in the plot, and the laughter we shared through all those hours together are the moments that come to mind when I think of those last months. The time we shared together allowed me to have an exclusive piece of my life reserved just for her. It was something special – just for us. It was time well spent. To this day, the taste of iced tea and salted popcorn makes me think of her, and the time we found for each other.

Still today I catch myself getting caught up in all the little things that I think are so important, so worthy of my time that I miss out on what is really important in life. Time is something you never get back. When I look back on my life, I never regret finding the time to enjoy life with my friends and family. What I do regret is listening to my iPod when I could be listening to my sister’s worries or when I spend time on YouTube when I could be linking arms with my best friend walking through the park.

When I get old and wrinkly and I am using the last few ounces of memory ability I have left, I don’t want to wish that I could rewind and do it all over again. I want to look back and think, “I’m glad I found the time.”