Humor — Magically Delicious

Cameron - Romania, Romania

Bill Cosby said “Through humor you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.”

I moved to Romania when I was ten years old. I went back to America again for a year and a half when I was 12. Then, most recently, I moved back to Romania at age 14. This kind of continuous change is easier for some to deal with than for others and for me, it’s always been less easy. Each time I leave a place, it gets harder. So as the plane took off, I had plenty of time to dwell on unpleasant goodbyes. But before long the plane ceased its ascension and the TV screen on the seat in front of me became available to use. I scrolled through the options and decided on The Simpsons Movie. For those 90 minutes I didn’t think about what I was leaving or where I was going. I just enjoyed laughing. And when it was over, despite the gravity of the change I was going through, I felt better. So you can imagine my joy when I discovered episodes of The Office available to watch.

Humor has a way of doing that. It almost always will improve my disposition— Sort of like a rebooting of my attitude. Humor is something to retreat into when I am angry of just feeling down. The hard part is keeping that feeling with me throughout the day— to be able to step out of a potentially frustrating situation, look at it objectively, and realize how incredibly insignificant the whole thing really is.

Having this kind of sense of humor will improve your whole life. It is more than just making you a funny person. It’s what causes some to smile when others would groan or complain. It’s the thick skin that lets potentially cutting words fall harmlessly to the ground. It’s the difficult practice of being able to take a joke, laugh about it, and toss one back.

It may be a funny movie or TV show I enjoy watching. It may be an inside joke I can bring up and laugh about with a friend. Maybe it’s just something funny I see on the way to school. But if I woke up one morning knowing I wouldn’t smile or laugh even once that day, I would see no reason to get out of bed. I mean really, who would eat Lucky Charms if it had no marshmallows?

I believe in humor. It gets me through the day.