Help from Others

Samuel - Bucharest, Romania

Help from Others

It was like any other Sunday– all the students, even little elementary kids, were up front playing the flute, violin, clarinet, guitar, bass, drum, and piano. Playing instruments is the pride of our church. However, one of my friends and I weren’t playing anything. My friend and I were the only kids without an instrument. Feeling a twinge of jealousy, I decided to play an instrument.

I started to learn guitar and wanted to be part of the music group. When I had enough skills to play, I was asked to play during chapel at my church. When I was asked, I just didn’t have the courage to do it. I first said no and rejected the offer. After I said no, I regretted it. I did want to play but I felt scared that my skills were not good enough or that I would mess up. But in the end, (after much consideration!), I decided to play.

When I started playing, I messed up a lot and realized that I wasn’t that good. I was playing the wrong chords and lost beat in the middle of the songs. Sweat started to pour out of my body and I could not lift my head. After the song ended, my mind was filled with the thought that I should stop playing. However, when I put my guitar down and looked out toward the audience, I noticed that they weren’t pointing fingers at me or laughing at me. Actually, everyone got up and started to clap their hands and whistle. As soon as I heard their applause, I wasn’t embarrassed to play in front of people or make a mistake.

I believe that others around me can be a big help in accomplishing my goals. If someone encourages or congratulates me, I feel comforted and supported. It makes me content with what I do and want to do more. On the other hand, if someone discourages me or laughs at what I do, I do not want to do it. These discouragements cause me to lose hope and give up.

What others say to me may encourage me to go on forward or may stop me– the words they say affect me in every way. It is as if they are judges in my life and they can give a verdict whether I am good or not. I might sometimes disagree with their decisions but they are the judge and if I don’t do what they like, they will not accept me.

Having support from others around me assists me in achieving my dreams. Without the encouragements of others, I would be a coward in front of others and perhaps not accomplish my goals. I believe others can help me.