Apple Tree Theory

Hei-Tung - 86314, Arizona

Have you ever thought about how to plant and grow apple trees from a seed? You need to plant it where it can receive a lot of sunlight and also spray and prune the apple tree regularly. It will take more than ten years before the tree produces a good apple.

Nothing will come easily. From the time that we are born, we start from the beginning. Breathing is the first thing that we learned. Then, we learned how to walk, speak, read and write. It requires steps and time. Before you learn how to write, you have to learn how to read and before you learn how to read, you learned how to spell. Step by step. It also takes awhile. It’s exactly ten years from first grade, until you can actually write an essay on your tenth grade aims test.

What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. In my country, we have a big examination (HKCEE) at the age of 15. The result determines your future. It’s included in your resume. The University acceptance is based on this result. Job interviewers also look at this result for a further consideration. You have to live with this result for your rest of your life. This education system sounds a little cruel but that’s the way it is. This is the way we survive in our country. There’s no other choice and one way to do it – Study. We believe that studying is associated with grades. How much effort you put in your studies affects your grades. Just like planting an apple tree, spraying and pruning are very important. Giving nutrition and good conditions is what the tree needs. It determines the future of an apple tree.

However, it’s not everything. Environments are also important. Every plant goes through Photosynthesis, using sunlight to produce sugar, which is needed for development. Incidentally, apple trees need sunlight to develop. Where the apple seed is planted also affects the growth of the tree. Which schools you go to, and who your teacher is, are important. My parents decided to move to a place where a lot of good schools were located. With the environment, peer pressure, etc. my academic performance has improved a little. I am thankful for my parents; they put my seed in a good spot and gave me a good opportunity to grow.

My apple was edible, but probably quite sour. On the HKCEE, I got 20 out of 30 possible points. After I understood my apple tree theory, I realized that spraying and pruning does make a difference. Sunlight and soil are the foundation. If we apply this apple tree theory in everything, then we could get a big sweet apple. This is what I am looking for in life.