Unconditional Love

Jenelle - Grand Rapids, Michigan

People should be loved as pets are loved. No matter what your pet does, you love them. We should try to be that open and trusting to people, because people deserve second chances too. We might even find they have really changed, and develop of a relationship that is stronger than any between pet and owner.

I am definitely a dog person. A year after my first dog had to be put down, my family and I went and picked up a new puppy. We were lonely and ready for another companion to spoil with love, and ready to be loved in return. She is a daisy dog (a specialized mutt) and when we got her she weighed a measly eight pounds. She was adorable, covered in fluff, with a teddy bear face. From the moment we held her, receiving her first wet kisses, we loved her. It didn’t matter what she chewed on or where she peed, we loved her unconditionally. Every time we caught her doing something naughty, we scolded her but immediately forgave her. We were positive that she had learned her lesson, but not ten minuets later saw she had not. I think it is easier to love dogs than humans because we are sure they will always be there. They greet us at the door, wagging their tails eagerly; we tell them our daily struggles and they listen with perked up ears. Occasionally, we take them for a ride in the car, sometimes even treating them to “bat dog” moments as they crane their head out the window. To them, it’s like they won the lottery, and to us we finally feel love come naturally. However, there is a stronger, more meaningful love; a love that can only be found by loving other people.

I know people are much harder to love than an eight-pound fluffy puppy, but they deserve the second chance just as much. I think the reason why people are harder to love is because they carry so much more baggage than a pet. They have their own opinions, and thoughts, which often differ from our own, keeping our love from flowing naturally in their direction. I have often heard if you love with your heart wide open you will get hurt, but I do not believe this is the case. Although people are more complicated and difficult to love, if we open our hearts, we open the possibility of finding a special person that allows us to reach a deeper and more meaningful kind of love, where a real connection is made. I believe that if you love with your heart wide open you will find someone who loves you for you, just like your pet loves you for just being yourself.