Music In My Life

Colin - Ada, Michigan

I can’t remember the last time I went a day without some sort of music helping through the day. Whether it is sitting down and playing piano, messing around with my guitar, or just listening to music in the car, it is a major part of my life and I believe that music should be a part of everyone’s life. It not only puts one in a good mood, but also can really help if you are going through a hard time.

It must have been my dad that got me into music. He has an enormous vinyl collection and a whole room dedicated to his music. He has spent his entire life collecting it all and every day, I hear his speakers blasting downstairs to some song I have never heard of. He took me to get my first CD, which was “Parachutes” by Coldplay and ever since then I have really been into music. My iPod is filled with over two-thousand songs, all of different genres and my taste continues to change. Nowadays I have been listening to electronic music, my brother being the main cause of that. It is something I find myself doing everyday; listening to music and letting it put me into a relaxed and happy mood. I don’t just listen to music though; I also enjoy playing it as well.

I first started piano lessons when I was eight years old. My mom had made my brother and sister take piano lessons around the same time and I was next in line to start. I hated it at first. I hated doing scales and playing boring, simple songs, not to mention the dreaded theory books I had to study. It quickly grew on me though and I really began to enjoy playing the piano. My teacher was very energetic and nice, never getting upset about a mistake or if I didn’t practice for my lesson. She had to retire from teaching though when I was eleven. It was difficult to make the switch to a new teacher, and that’s when it began to go downhill. I didn’t like going to lessons anymore. It was becoming more and more difficult to read the music and I wasn’t very fond of my new teacher.

When I was thirteen, my mom saw how frustrated I was and she let me quit piano lessons. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was probably one of the worst mistakes I have ever made. I didn’t touch a piano for about three years after that until one day I saw it in our living room and I got the urge to sit down and play. From that day on I have slowly gotten back into it, and I feel really good about it. I may not be the best at reading music, but it makes me happy when I play songs I like and that’s all that matters to me.

I believe everyone should have some sort of music in their life. It can be as small and simple as listening to the radio every morning but I truly believe it makes life better. For me, it is an escape from everyday life. I sit down at that piano and forget about everything else. Music is a major part of my life, and should take some part in everyone else’s.