My Own Personal Lock

Jackson - Ada, Michigan

As Joe Paterno, The Penn State Nittany Lions’ head football coach once said, “Besides pride, loyalty, discipline, heart and mind- confidence is the key to all locks.” I believe that coach Paterno is sharing not only his belief of confidence one needs to show in sports, but the confidence one needs to succeed in life.

Walking into math class, all I can think about is the big test. But am I letting it get to me? The answer is no. Preparation has allowed me to come into this class period with confidence. With no confidence, all I would be able to do is draw scribbles as my eyes wander aimlessly throughout the room. As I work my way through the test, I will allow nothing to slow me down. If I am unsure of an answer, no problem, I will come back and spend more time on the problem later. The confidence that I have in myself allows me to make sure that I work my way through the difficult problems with ease. Walking into a test with confidence is the second best way to pass, right after studying, of course. Without confidence however, you will find yourself stumped. The key to my problem solving ability is confidence.

Confidence effects physical activity also. Dribbling the basketball down the court with the game tied and my number called to take the final shot. I know what I will do and I know I will make it. My sense of confidence is what allowed me to drive the lane and sink a 10 foot jumper to win the game. Without the confidence I have, the story may have

gone something like this: As I dribbled down the court, I was unsure of what to do, panicking, I drove the ball, stopped and heaved up an off balance shot, I missed. Knowing that I would have the ability to make the shot and believing in myself allowed me to win the game with ease. Without confidence, anxiety is almost certain. When people panic and are anxious, the end result is never good. The key to unlocking my true physical ability is confidence.

Problem solving and physical ability are two types of confidence; overall confidence in yourself is what really matters. Public speaking takes a lot of self confidence. Standing in front of class, staring at my presentation on the board, I see nothing but scribbles. I need to know what I am going to say, and I need a powerful delivery. I can only obtain this powerful delivery if I believe in myself and believe in my voice and information I am presenting. Standing up tall, shoulders back, and head up show that I know what I am doing. It shows the confidence that I have in my body. With confidence driving my presentation, I am able to deliver my speech, nerves out the door, round of applause deserved. The key to unlocking my ability to believe in myself is confidence.

Many things are important in life, confidence however is what I believe to be the driving force to personal achievements and success. The key to unlocking my own personal lock is confidence.