Think and Become

Tyler - Massachusetts

Think and Become

The Buddha wisely stated, “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become.” This quote really spoke to me because it not only relates to my life, but I have noticed it touches people around me as well. If you have an optimistic state of mind, good things will happen. I try to spread my positive thoughts to everyone, almost like a rock falling into the water, causing ripples to form. These positive thoughts reach out to everybody, comforting them. This makes them create their own ripples, and so the good fortune passes on. However, if you are always pessimistic and focused on the negative, you won’t get what you want out of life.

I try to be confident, kind, and happy and assume others like me and want to be my friend. I use this way of thinking when I go to social events. I appear confident by making an effort with everyone instead of looking indifferent, and therefore people respond positively. I used to be reserved and didn’t always think this way. But now people see the real me because I changed the way I thought and openly expressed myself instead of holding back. I no longer worry what people think of me, and that gives a lot of freedom.

My cousin’s experience shows that if people put their mind to it, they can achieve happiness. When he first began to talk, he always told everyone that God put him in the wrong body because he was supposed to be a girl. I remember when we were little, we loved playing with barbies nonstop, painting our nails, and playing dress up. He didn’t care what anybody else thought because he felt that he really was meant to be a girl. At that age, I didn’t think about why a boy wanted to play these things and why he didn’t go play in the dirt and mud like most boys his age. He now lives his life as a teen girl, and everyone supports her. She looks like a girl and has changed her name. Although it was hard getting to this place—he thought and she became.

I loved the creative writing projects in English during middle school and came up with a lot of creative, funny stories. At some point, my teacher said “these stories are publishable.” I never had thought of myself as a published author until my teacher made the suggestion. I sent several writing samples to Teen Ink and got published in the next issue. I thought of myself as a writer, despite my age, and believed that I could get it published and succeeded.

As long as you have an idea in your mind of who you want to be, you can achieve it no matter what the obstacles. If you set a goal for yourself and pursue it, you can become anything.