Chocolate as a Healing Power

Caroline - Wellesley, Massachusetts

Chocolate is a remedy and a medicine that can be used for any malady or ailment. When breakups happen, the first thing that comes out is the chocolate ice cream, crying is interspersed with mouthfuls of Ben & Jerry’s Death by Chocolate. Why, even in Harry Potter Professor Lupin notes that if a traumatic experience happens to you, a huge slab of chocolate is the way to go. When the dementors come Harry gets a cold and dark feeling, however, when he eats chocolate that terrible feeling disappears. I personally think that Chocolate is even better than Percocet. I have problem knees, they like to slip of their sockets, and one summer while I was at camp they did just that. At the ER, the doctor’s forgot to give me pain meds. Not even a lowly Tylenol with codeine was offered to me, the docile patient. I believe in letting doctors and other professionals do their jobs, and assumed that at one point or another a bag of morphine would be attached to me just like I was used to. But before you know it I am being discharged with an immobilizing brace that probably weighed the same as a four year old. No Tylenol, no Aspirin, not even an Advil. However as I walked into the communal cafeteria I noticed something: chocolate cupcakes the size of my sister’s head. These decadent creations were smothered in frosting, the smell of it wafted towards my nose. Warm and moist they were just being laid out of the oven, ready for the grabbing for anyone who would like a taste. Limping over as quickly as I could I tried to be stealth. No one else should see these; I should be the first to grab one. Carefully I placed this death by chocolate creation on my tray and hurried to find a place to sit while making sure that the cupcake was steady at all times. My worst fear was that for some unearthly reason this cupcake would fall to the ground, I knew that if, such a terrible thing like that happened, I would burst into tears. Finding a seat I scurried down and stared. The cupcake stared back, it looked me in the eyes and begged me to eat it, and I, unable to resist took the biggest bite known to man. It tasted like no other cupcake that I had ever seen, heard, touched, or tasted before. It’s plain and simple; the goddesses who worked in the kitchen had put magic into this cupcake from heaven. Looking down at my leg I realized that there was no more pain left, in fact, I was perfectly comfortable. By what wondrous means could this have happened? The Magic Chocolate Cupcake from Heaven.