Give or take a trillion !!

Mahendra - Saline, Michigan

Give or take a trillion!

I believe in the entrepreneurial spirit! Despite the economic morass we find ourselves in, I believe that entrepreneurial spirit that will lift us from these ashes. Entrepreneurs do not accept the status quo – they crave to find a better way – solutions to life’s nagging problems ! America’s economy will rebuild itself, slowly but surely, because everyday, each morning, an entrepreneur gets up and asks, Why not? They look at different ways to create value and respectfully command a price for it. They aspire to make life better – are strong willed, demonstrate conviction. They cannot, or rather, will not take NO for an answer!

Amongst hubris, the rest of us react and see gloom – entrepreneurs see opportunity! When Pfizer shut down its 2 million sq. ft facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Roger Newton, the co-inventor of Lipitor, the largest selling heart drug in the world, started a company – he named his company Esperion! Venture capitalists promptly invested $20 million in Esperion. The spirit to invent his next blockbuster drug lives. Probably, Roger drives every morning by Zingerman’s deli – Inc. magazine named Zingerman’s as the coolest company in America! Ari and Paul, the entrepreneurs that started Zingerman’s are as passionate about baking bread as Roger is passionate about inventing drugs. Roger, Ari and Paul are entrepreneurs who couldn’t accept heart disease or a bad sandwich. Every city and town in this country has their own Roger and Paul. Their actions and attitude teach us not to look at the stock market every day and assign our emotional state to it – but to tackle problems in a meaningful way.

Steve Jobs of Apple once said, “There is something beyond what you see everyday – It is the same thing that causes people to be poets instead of bankers. That spirit can be put into products and – people can see that spirit” ! Entrepreneurs bring such a spirit to our life everyday. And such is the spirit our country is made of!

Twenty five years ago, economists predicted that, in 2007, our country’s GDP would be about $3.5 trillion ! So much for economists! Our entrepreneurs did just a little better than that – we closed at $13 trillion. We beat the predictions by only about $10 trillion. The next 25 years stand before us – and every entrepreneur in America is working hard to beat any economist’s prediction.