A New Type of Medicine

Maggie - Wellesley, Massachusetts
Themes: children

Babies have medicinal properties. Yet, unlike any cough syrup or pain killer you’ve ever taken, the medicine babies provide have no ugly side effects. Say goodbye to nausea, drowsiness, and headaches, because the only thing you will feel when you are holding that baby is the rush of endorphins that is sure to overwhelm you as you rock that new life in your aching arms. I have personally experienced the benefits of holding a baby on many counts. I’ve known the feeling of desperation that makes you feel like no matter how hard you try, you’ll never be able to dig yourself out of the giant hole festering in your heart that is eating you alive. And, on these same days it is the sweet naïve, innocence that all babies possess, that has put a band aid on my soul. Even in the hardest of times, holding a baby can really truly help.

When my mother was pregnant for the first time she started having complications, so she went to go see the doctor. Unfortunately, the problems she was experiencing meant that her baby was very sick, but low and behold the nurse who had to break the bad news to her had just happened to bring her own baby to the hospital, and even though the incredible sadness of it all was unbearable, my mother says to this day that holding that nurse’s baby made her feel a little bit better. I can also attest to this fact; over the most recent Thanksgiving break I was having a hard time dealing with school stress, but upon visiting the young baby of a family friend, I temporarily forgot my troubles. I held that baby for up to twenty minutes without stopping, and when I put him down, the aching in my arms was not from fatigue, it was because I wanted to feel that warm little body in my arms for a little bit longer.

I do appreciate the fact that my beliefs on the medicinal properties of infants are biased, I have ALWAYS been a baby person, but no one can deny that holding something that is completely dependent on you makes you feel just a teensy bit better about yourself and the world around you. Who can hold a grudge against our previously inadequate government when they are looking into the eyes of a baby. Who cares about the English essay they forgot to hand in, or the meeting they are dreading, when looking up at them is the closest we get to complete innocence and cleanliness. But, you better be wary, because even with all the benefits medicinal babies provide, they can still be addictive.