Cooper - Vancouver, Washington
Themes: death, family, love

This I believe, that love can never die in your heart.

I was about seven years old and it was a warm summer day. I used to always remember the stories my grandmother used to tell me about my cousins life. Even though I never met him, I still loved him. I always imagined meeting him one day. Sadly, I know it will never happen. It was about lunch time when my family got a call. It was my grandmother. She sounded terrible, that’s when we found out my cousin had drowned. He was swimming with some friends in a lake. Just like me he had seizures when he was a child. I was a lucky one because I had a shot that allowed me to live a normal life, he did not.

My cousin still had seizures at age nineteen. They were so bad that he had to take special pills. The problem was he did not take his pills that day so while he was swimming he had a seizure and drowned before anyone could get to him in time to save him. That was the end of my cousins’ life. He was gone.

My family was heartbroken. Then, for the next few days we did not talk much we just sat around the house quietly. Especially my sister and I because we were just kids and we did not know what it was like to lose a loved one close to our hearts. So now whenever I think of him I always know that he would have been a good guy to know. I’ll always wish that I could have known him. Sometime I stop and think what it would have been like to have known my cousin, Austin. Maybe my life would have been different, maybe it wouldn’t have.

The last thing that my family had to remember him by was a necklace that had a picture of him on it that was given to my little sister. She carried it everywhere she went, even to school. Unfortunately, when she was at one of my baseball games, she was playing in the grass with her friend when she set it down and lost it. We looked everywhere for it but it was gone.

Even though the necklace was lost I’ll always have him in my heart. Just remember, even though love dies, love will never die in your heart.