Driven Phobia

Nathan - Ada, Michigan
Themes: fear

Adrenaline starts pumping, and eyes dilate. My palms feel sweaty, and blood pumps to my muscles ready for action. But all these responses are a result of a surprise or fear. I believe that people rely on fear, and need it in order to live. Fear is something everyone has at least sometime in his or her life. It pushes people to do positively negative acts. I believe because of anxiety humans are successful. I know this because I have developed one, and it has changed my life. This phobia is failure. I don’t know when I developed it, but because of it, I have worked harder and harder and developed habits in such as preparation, studying, commitment, and determination.

When people become scared and are faced with a situation that is devastating, how they survive demonstrates who they really are. Although this may not be a normal phobia, such as the fear of spiders and snakes, but a complex emotion driving decisions. The fears people have can have a great impact on our personality and how we fight these phobias shows a greater impact. I have been fortunate enough to grow up with a family with high expectations for me. My father is a doctor and my brothers have been quite successful in their own way. I remember when I was in elementary school, and I was not the hardest worker because I played a lot with my neighborhood friends without a care in the world. But as I moved forward past elementary school, I started to realize that eventually I would need to support myself and my loved ones. I became afraid of failing the expectations my brothers set, and failing myself. I have learned because of that fear, if I want something then I have to go get it. I have developed this idea in my head that if I was not successful then I would not be happy. Due to this concern, I have become determined to achieve what I wanted. If I give up, I will never let go, and be happy. Of course I make mistakes, but how I recover really shows my character. Society is driven by their phobias. It’s the behind the scenes power supply that runs everyday people. I believe this distressing emotion is environmental driven by family and friends. To me, my desire for success is a blessing that helps me everyday, and it resulted from my father and family pushing me to better myself.

Fear, it is a silent drive creating order in our society. Although obsessive fear causes paranoia and mental conditions, it does more good than bad. The resistance of failure has pushed me to new levels of expectations for myself. Although I do not let distressing emotion aroused from danger dominate me, I believe my fear has a shallow impact on my conscious choices. For this reason, I believe in fear.