Laugh to Live

Alex - Ada, Michigan

As our lives progress, we solemnly realize the little things in life that help us through the days. After all, it is only human for us to worry about the milestones of our years. I believe in laughter. Laughter may only be a small part of the day, but it definitely can fill one’s appetite over a day of anxiety. Even one little joke can make someone’s day. I have noticed my most satisfying memories are of composed of laughter, and I find it extremely crucial to anyone’s health to have a slice of it each and every day.

Just the other day I witness another dramatic event. The story was portrayed on the news about the death of a co-worker of a radio talk show host. He had been working with him for quite a while. I could only imagine what those co-workers were to each other. They shared their lives with each other, talking about their hopes and dreams, their blessings, and their sins. At first it did not appear to hit home for the host until the end of the show when he played their theme song. It was a jingle in which both of the hosts were singing and were laughing. When the song started, he just started breaking down in tears. It was the laughter that made them so close; sharing the grand times with each other, like family.

As for my life, I have been fortunate enough to experience a lot of laughter. In fact, I cannot remember a day that I did not laugh. Whether it is from an inside joke or just from the spur of the moment, I always seem to get my fill everyday. I can remember a time when I was about eight or nine years old and I was literally laughing so hard that I was on the floor rolling in pain. One of my closest friends was putting on a show for my brother and me with some of our toys, and it happened to be one of the funniest, most absurd things I have ever witnessed. The more he dragged the show on, the more hilarious it became. Even today, I find a little chuckle from it. Those are the type of memories I cherish, and will remember for the rest of my life.

Although we can not always ignore memories of sorrow, we can always learn from them, and we can cherish memories of joy. In the same way, we can not always control our future, but a least we can embrace it. Enjoy the time spent with loved ones because the laughter shared with others is enough to remember them for a lifetime. Whether it is from a radio talk show host, or a childhood friend, it is always vital to find a little humor in one’s life. So, as the years glide by, make sure to laugh a little, for it is the little things in life that really makes the difference.