Money Is Not Everything

kelly - corona, New York

I believe that money is not everything. I came to this belief when I was about 10 years old as a primary school student. One day, my seatmate asked me to do homework for him and promised to pay me some money. At once, I thought it was a good deal and felt proud for earning money on my own. But a sense of guilty rose in my heart while knowing that was violating the students’ rules. With hesitation, I sought help from my father, who I always trusted in most. Then he told me sincerely, “My dear, money is important but it doesn’t mean that money is everything. There are many things ranked upon money, such as the rule of being a good student.” His words flashed through my mind as a discipline admonishing me not to earn money at the expense of moral violation.

With my further experiences, I gradually realize that something essential and cherished to me must be brought up with continuous concerns and persevering efforts, instead of money.

Money can’t trade in friendship. When I was in high school, I had an intimate friend whose father was one of the chief government officers in the local area. One day, someone wanted to pay me money as if I would introduce my friend’s father to him for some secret scheme. As that wasn’t a hard task for me, it seemed unreasonable for me to turn down such a good opportunity for earning money. Nevertheless, I just thought of my friend at that critical moment. I could imagine how angry she would be with me if I did that. Thus, I rejected his request immediately. Then I told my friend about that. She hugged me excitedly and said, “Thank you for not doing that. Otherwise, I will lose you forever!” My heart thundered with her words. Thank god, I didn’t accept the money which would cost me at the price of my best friend. Money has its value in denomination, whereas our friendship which built upon long-term trust and respect is an invaluable fortune to me.

Also, I find out money can’t lead to a healthy body if without self-training on physical exercises. During my first years in university, I often suffered from heavy cold and fever. To raise my body resistance, I spent lots of money in taking nutrition food and pills. Unfortunately, I was still physically weak. One day, I caught a cold after getting wet in the rain. While looking at the nourished wasters, I felt so frustrated that I rushed to playground then kept running and running for tens of minutes. To my surprise, the cold went off on the next day. Considering physical training healed the cold, thereafter, I urged myself to do more sports in spare time. Finally, I trained myself in good health. The fact is that money spent on alimentation could only play a minor role in strengthening my health. To keep exercising myself continually is the exact magic key to my solid body.

Moreover, I recognize that offering money to my families is not the best way to make them happy. After graduating from university, I got a job and focused my time at work in order to earn more money to improve the living quality of my families. One day, I went to see my grandma and gave her some money. She didn’t take it but stared at me. Then she made a deep sigh and said, “You haven’t come to see me for weeks, my dear. Yes, I am happy to receive your money and buy things I need. But I will be much happier as if I could see you more frequently rather than get your money.” Her words woke me up. Certainly, with my money support, her life would be improved in terms of food, clothing and housing; however, I couldn’t expect money to become an audient of her, chat with her or stroll with her instead of me. Since then, I made time to visit my grandma every week. With my continual regards, she looked jollier and more vigorous than before.

Furthermore, money can’t drive me to love someone from the heart. When I was single, I was once chased after a rich guy who often bought me beautiful cloths and luxurious gifts and even wanted to offer me a supplementary card. At first, I seemed to enjoy being together with him. Later in an evening, when he suddenly held my hand on my way home, I felt shocked and even scared so that my hand immediately escaped from his stinging touch. Then I had a sleepless night to find out why I felt glad to accept all the things he offered me but acted so resistant to his touch. Finally I figured it out — although I felt gratitude for all he’d provided me, gratitude doesn’t mean love. The money he’d expensed could only bring me things to satisfy my vanity for material comfort but couldn’t drive my heart to love him in return. So I stopped dating with him at once. Years later, I fortunately met my Mr. Right who’s already become my husband now. He doesn’t possess a great sum of money and can’t buy me many pricy goods but I just couldn’t help falling in love with him at the first sight; I love his strong sense of responsibility to take good care of me and his efforts to please me with small gifts at times. For me, that is true love —— at first sprouted naturally at the bottom of my heart, then thrives with permanent prevenance and consideration.

However, I can’t argue with the reality that money is vital to everybody for living. To me, money is also important but no more than a medium for acquiring material things I need for relatively instant uses. In contrast, friendship is an in-depth relationship which must be maintained by perpetual loyalty and mutual support; a good health need to be formed with insistent exercises; families require my constant care and company to lift up their happy lives; and true love is a profound affection that sustains with endless romance and passion. All those treasures have to be reserved with long-lasting solicitude, endeavor and dedication which money could never substitute for. Therefore, I won’t take money as the first reason I survive for or the primary thing to worship. I should use money to obtain something but never sacrifice anything precious to gain money.