Natasha - Long Beach, California
Themes: fear

I believe in being fearless. Being fearless is not the absence of fear but the ability to withstand it. Life represents fear. We encounter it in our daily lives. Fear is like a maze, impossible to escape. Your life is a struggle to conquer fear.

My family wasn’t wealthy. We were living on the brim of the hat. My parents had feared of layoffs and pay cuts. The fear in my parents eventually worked its way to me. I would save up money thinking it would help. I knew it didn’t but it was and escape from reality.. My mother took up another job and we worked together to get by. We used persistence in order to withstand the fear. The values that drive me to achieve and lead are grounded I the lessons learned while working with my family. We had the power to change the course of our future and turn desperation into inspiration with equal determination to succeed.

I myself have been fearless. I fear of not pursuing my to goals. I have the ability to block out my fear in order to succeed: This made it easier for me to deal with the world around me. Because of the budget on money my Oma and I had a long discussion. It was a summer evening, the warm breeze blowing through our hair. We were on her blue velour couch watching television. She had explained to me why times were hard and that one must work hard to receive well in the end. We had talked about school and what I wanted to major. I had responded in one word… doctor. She already knew the reason behind my decision. We talked for more than an hour. The conversation keeps me strong.

My second goal is more personal. It’s a goal that I would like to achieve in the next few years. I’ve always had low self-esteem until a band changed my life. I established my dream in the summer of 2008. I was visiting my aunt Sabine in Spain. It was one of those days where it’s too hot to do anything. We were sitting on the white canvas couch watching MTV. I closed my eyes when a song came up I had never heard before. Their music was mesmerizing. I looked at the screen that read Tokio Hotel. They’re my heroes and they guide me everyday.

It was the same envisage. I was in line to meet them when there was an emergency and they were escorted out back. I was crushed. Some nights I wake up in abject terror. I would stay awake until I felt same enough to try and go back to sleep. I was enduring the pain.

When we are afraid, we experience helplessness. You control your own life, because you don’t need to control what happens to you in your life; you only need to respond to what happens to you in your life. This I believe.