Being Yourself

Asisa - Portland, Maine

Some people spend years trying to figure out who they are, what they like or what they want to do in life. I believe that if you are yourself than everything else falls into place. Being yourself isn’t liking a certain song because everybody else likes it. Being yourself is when you know yourself enough to be able to choose what you want to do without having everybody choose for you.

“Back in Kenya when I was your age…” That’s the start of every sentence that comes out of my mother’s mouth. How if I acted like the way I do where my mother came from I would be a disgrace to my family. So she tries to shape me into what in her culture’s eyes is the perfect daughter. As a girl meaning meeting the expectations by, staying home, cooking, cleaning , being obedient, caring for kids, and never talking out. Unfortunately, I’m not the daughter of her dreams because, I do more times than not burn the macaroni and cheese and leave my clothes scattered in my room.

“Where are you from?” Is the first question that pops into everybody’s head when they see me, Why?, because they refuse to accept me for being different. They take the idea put it in a box and stamp it with strange or in some cases stupid and put it in the attic of their minds. Never to be looked at again. Then comes “Why do you do that?” They than take the reasons why and try to make me see the deplorable parts about them. Then try to take all the parts they don’t like and leave me plain and boring.

Society wants to put you in a box and give you a label. People don’t like being confused or looking at things from a new perspective. Throw something they don’t understand at them, and they get angry. They can’t box me in and give me a label because I don’t fit in any of their boxes. I carry too many experiences with me to fit. I carry my culture, which shows in the color of my skin and in my name. I carry my religion which helps me look at the world from a new view. And I carry myself which isn’t anything society expects.

I know a lot of people don’t think that being yourself is important in life. I still believe that though. It helps to be myself when I have to make important decisions, so later I know I won’t regret whatever I chose. I plan to be myself through everything and hopefully I won’t have to look back and wonder what I did wrong because, instead, I’ll look back and know what I did right.