Dreamers

Charles - Portland, Maine

“BEEP. BEEP. BEEP,” An alarm clock sings. A second ago, in my dreams, I was being inaugurated as the President of the United States. Now I am just a 14 year old teenager living in a smaller than small world, but someday something may change. I believe that dreams can be more than dreams, that your wildest dreams can and will become reality if you work hard enough. Besides being the president, I have dreamed about winning the Nobel Prize for the cure for cancer and being a big time sports writer for E.S.P.N. or Sports Illustrated. These dreams fuel my pursuit of happiness.

Coincidentally, what led me to this belief was a dream. Specifically, a dream of being a world renowned baseball writer for Sports Illustrated. This is one of my more realistic dreams, but I am still a long distance away from it. This dream turned into my dream job very quickly. Usually I can not remember my dreams very clear, but this one was. I was very tired from playing baseball all day, playing for a 3-time state champion team. I went to bed early that night and fell asleep very quickly. In my dream, I was living a perfect life. Making a lot of money, but still loving what I did. I was in charge of everything baseball at Sports Illustrated and wrote many, many loved articles by the baseball world. But as quickly as it started, it ended. And that is why I want to start it all over again, but the next time it will not be just a dream.

A conviction like mine surely can not be formed by just one dream. The next experience did not completely form my belief, but definitely shaped a huge slice of the pie. This dream is a very, very unrealistic one. The reason why my dream is almost impossible is because in my dream I came up with the cure for cancer. My achievement would be the most historic event in the history of mankind. I would have ended the worst disease in the world. I would be looked at as a god throughout the health world and maybe the world at large. I told you it was unrealistic, but hey, I can dream, right?

My last dream is something I think about every day. Only one person is picked for this job every four long years. I dream about being the President of the United States of America. The most important job in America and possibly the world. Just thinking about it gives me the goose bumps, let alone dreaming about it. I would like to think that having all this power would not corrupt my good judgment, but all too many times we have seen that even the greatest men have lost their minds to the hypnotizing role of being, what some call, the most powerful man on the face of the Earth. With great power always comes great responsibility and that is what I yearn to have. The ability to make decisions, hopefully great decisions, that drive a nation.

I believe that dreams can be more than dreams because that is all our biggest achievements and goals ever start off as, dreams. This belief has impacted my present and will continue to impact my future because now I strive to do big and better things, instead of doing only what is necessary. In school, we are told so many times to set realistic goals so you do not become depressed if you do not meet your goals, but I believe in going big or not going at all. I simply loathe people who do not try hard and do not set tough goals for themselves. If you do not meet your goals, try and try again because that is what real leaders do. They persevere, relentlessly. If this belief was more rampant throughout the world, there would be more history-making dreamers like Martin Luther King Jr. and our president, Barrack Obama.