A World of Heroes

Sarah - Clarkston, Michigan

I truly believe that everyone is a hero to someone. Growing up, a hero was always depicted to me as a “comic book” hero. Later on in life, I was taught that a hero was someone that saves lives, like firefighters and policeman. If I were asked to define hero today, the word inspiration comes to mind. A person who makes a difference in someone’s life, someone you look up to for guidance, and someone you learn from. When someone has affected your life so much that they motivate you to do great things, or even push you to be the best that you can be, that is what a hero truly is. There are a few people in my life that I would deem “heroic” to me in some way or another, but what better hero to have than a true friend.

One of my heroes, and really good friends, is Melissa Fitzpatrick. She isn’t a firefighter or a police man and she doesn’t show up in comic books or have special powers, but she does inspire me in many ways. Melissa is a fairly normal, average person that has affected my life enough to make me realize she is my hero. I met Melissa four years ago, and ever since we have been good friends. The first time that I realized she was my hero was the time she was there for me when no one else was. It was late on a Saturday night, and I was home by myself. I was having a rough week and I finally broke down in tears for three hours. I tried calling anyone and everyone to talk, but everyone seemed to be busy. Then I scrolled through my contacts and saw Melissa’s name. I quickly called her up, and within minutes she was at my front door with my favorite food, tacos. Even though this might seem stupid and not a big deal, it meant the world to me. Melissa was there for me when no one else was, and I knew that she would always be there no matter what. She has no idea what that night meant to me, and she doesn’t realize how much I look up to her. She can make me laugh, even when everything is going wrong. Melissa is my hero, and she inspires me to be a giving and compassionate friend like her.

It is hard to consider yourself as a hero, especially if you are just an average person living your own life. Even if you don’t know it, there is someone out there that you have inspired; someone that calls you their hero. If you have ever been nice to someone that needed it, if you have ever been a role model for someone, and even if you have taught someone a few things that have helped them out in life, then you are a hero. All it takes is one smile to the right person to become a hero. A hero is inspirational, giving, and sincere. I am willing to guarantee that even you have been one of those things at some point in their life. Everyone is a hero to someone. I am a hero to someone.