My dream

IRELA - Yonkers, New York

My life was full of unexpected surprises. At seventeen, I realize not everything in life has a candy coating cover. Life is very hard now, but my family and I still live contented lives because we have each other and nothing is more important than our family. I used to think my father was superman and he could never get hurt, that was until the day of the accident. In the summer of 2008, my father was in a severe car accident, which caused him to stop working. I gave up my time to have a lively summer and was strong-willed to obtaining two jobs to make things easier for my family. In spite of the unexpected collision, I still have my dreams: to the first in my family to graduate with a bachelor degree. Even though I may not know what I will be in the future, but I do know I will succeed not for myself but for my family, I’ll sacrifice any thing that it is possible to be accepted to any college and be the best student that I am capable of. It took me three years to realizes my grades and school were no joke, even though they were not as well as you thought it would be, I can promise I will give my life or to do anything to prove I can change and work harder for my family.

I did not enjoy giving up my summer, to work two jobs, but I was devoted and persuaded waking up every morning at 7 am to go and help support my family. Even though I was never forced, I felt that it was something I had to do, since my ill mother and brother could not work. My father made up half the income in our household before the car accident. The only money coming in now is my brother and mother’s S.S.I and disability checks from my father’s accident. Also my father uses the money he saved from his 2007 income tax. I decided to get a job at Pizza Hut as a cashier/ waitress, while still working at Pathmark as a cashier. Whenever I got both of my checks, I would contribute it to the house.

Every day is a survival not only for me but for my family, no money is coming in but mines, my two older brothers and from my mothers S.S.I checks. This struggle is ending soon, when my father gets his check from the accident. I hope to god I believe achieving a higher education will put an end to our struggling, and hope to have better lives. Everyday my family and I survive, the little step we take, we smile harder and we get stronger. I am the first to continue my education in college and I promise I will be the first to graduate college with a bachelor degree. I am a hard worker. I know the meaning of being self-discipline, and I also like to have fun. I never took pity from anyone. I spent long hours striving to support my family and along the way, I met extraordinary individuals at the work place. These friends left imprints in my life and in my heart, they also were working for their children and parents. These young co-workers sacrificed their time to put food on the table. I truly respect them and I am deeply inspired by there astounding sacrifices. Life is full of many, unexpected surprises and whatever obstacles that may be present, I’m ready for it. I’m confident that I will endeavor anything, because I am motivated and driven.