Success

Daisy - Puyallup, Washington

SUCCESS

This I believe, success is for everyone. Though some choose not to receive it, or expect it to just happen for them, it is still a gift given to everyone. The secret to success is, knowing how to recognize the gift.

Success is as personal as a fingerprint. For a mom it may be watching her child graduate from college, while to the child it may be securing that dream job after graduation. Success isn’t limited to saving the world from hunger or finding that cure, it’s in the everyday things. The everyday things are what add up to saving the world from hunger and sickness.

I once believed I wasn’t smart enough to go to college or be more than a wife, mother, maid and cook. Never imagining I would do anything worthwhile, I did just enough to survive. I went to work and took care of my family. It wasn’t until after my divorce and losing my job and having to make a choice about my future did I ever really look at the little successes I did achieve. After a self evaluation (I was successfully running my home and finances, worked my way up to a corporate position from a retail sales position and I am raising two great kids, most of this was self taught) I realized I was as smart enough to go to college. With encouragement from my inner circle and the desire to do more than just survive, I enrolled in school and have three quarters left to finish my Associates degree.

Since realizing everyone has the same potential for success, it’s frustrating to watch when someone chooses to do nothing with it. I don’t understand why people would rather settle for mediocrity or just getting by when life has so much more to offer. I realize, it takes discipline, motivation and more importantly desire to succeed. World champions weren’t just born and handed the titles, the CEO’s and World leaders weren’t born to their positions. They had to work for it, more importantly they had to want it bad enough to work for it. Because there is too much work, too much responsibility or too many disappointments that come with success, you should never be dissuaded from receiving your gift. The sense of accomplishment, pride and effect you can have on the world can far outweigh the obstacles.