A Smile Can Go A Long Way

Kajin - Nashville, Tennessee

When everything is going wrong, and one cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes a smile from someone you know or even a stranger can help. Some people do not understand how powerful just a simple smile can be in someone’s day. How can something so small be such a big influence on someone’s day or even their mood? Putting a smile on someone’s face can have them forget about their problems, even if it is for a split second. On the other hand, sometimes their smile may even last much longer than they anticipated. One of the most important aspects that I love about a smile is the fact that giving and receiving a smile is free as well as contagious. Putting a smile on someone’s face whether it is willingly or by force, can change the mood someone is in.

I work at a grocery store and everyone that works there knows when I come into work, regardless of what is going on in my life, I leave all the troubles at the door and put a smile on my face. I walk around the store asking everyone to put a smile on their face whether it is a fake smile or not. I may be one person, but where I work, I take the effort to at least smile at everyone I see and I guess you can say force them to put a smile on their face as well.

I have been told by many customers as well as employees, that they appreciate me making them smile. I remember one incident, where one of the managers was yelled at, for someone else’s mistake. Yet, he took the blame since he is a manager. After being told by an employee that he was in a bad mood and to leave him alone, I chose to do the complete opposite. I went up to him and repeatedly asked him to smile and he refused but I did not give up. I kept at it until I got him to smile. After forcing him to smile, he told me that he needed to smile to forget about what had happened earlier. Following the incident he kept thanking me and explaining that I was the only person that could achieve putting a smile on his face. Everyone else just gave up.

Smiling is one thing that most people do not even think twice about. For many, they do not believe that a smile can have such a big impact. However, what they do not know is that a smile that is free can change the mood someone is in. After learning all this about a simple smile, that is free, could mean so much, why don’t more people smile?