Jeremy - 73460, Oklahoma

Belief is a tool we use to produce or achieve what we can call truth. This truth is relative and subjective to each observer. So whether or not I believe in anything is not the question, but how I act around others makes that belief tangible and therefore relevant. So, I believe in the need for diversity of belief but also in the need for a harmonious nature in which all beliefs can coexist. Philosopher Immanuel Kant set forth a categorical imperative that calls for one to act only as if everyone were mirroring his/her actions simultaneously. In this way one’s actions can be truly understood and seen in the light of how it affects all others. This is roughly the point from which my beliefs start.

I believe in being. I believe in the collectiveness of our conscious experience. I believe in the oneness of all physical beings and the cosmological connection that exists between every subatomic particle of every atom in this universe and all theorized parallel universes. I believe in the unity of opposites, matter and anti-matter, light and dark, life and death. I believe in the infinite expanse of existence, for we exist in a state of perpetual energy that has no beginning or end nor bound nor source. I believe that we, as humans, on this planet, are but a minuscule speck of dust caught in the glimmering swirl of an unimpressive and relatively tiny galaxy that exists among an uncountable amount of sparkling galaxies all feeding and rotating around invisible super massive black holes. I believe in the parallel existence of physical matter with the elements of the cosmos that are not altogether perceivable. Yet, I do not believe in the existence of any metaphysical entity that serves to govern or otherwise seek obedience from us insignificant organisms. I believe that our civilized existence arose out of millions of years of an animalistic fear of the dark that has been remedied by passive religious storytelling reinforced thorough bloodshed and hypocrisy. I believe in those, like me, who choose not to believe.

I believe in love, both selfless love of family and the love that comes from desire. They are opposites that work together on a pendulum that keeps our species moving ever forward to the inevitable end like lemmings on the race to the big cliff. I believe in the peculiar intoxication of music and its ability to entrance the mind through a language spoken without words but feeling. I believe in the highest power, knowledge, and the utter pertinence of its pursuit. I believe in non-violence, yet accept it as impractical for us primitive animals to ever truly adopt. I am an empiricist, yet an idealist. I believe in pacifistic atheism. I believe that death is life and there are no seems between the two. I believe that all we know are the pictures that our consciousness flashes through our eyes to the back of our brains. I realize, however, that these pictures are an illusion, a hologram, the carrot that keeps the donkey at a steady pace. I believe that all that exists under our small dying sun is cliché and redundant. Finally, I believe that existence is infinite, unquestionable and occurs both within and without us.