I believe in second chances in life and building on the experiences we have been given to make us and those around us stronger through our lives.

Claudia - Alexandria, Pennsylvania

I believe in second chances in life and building on the experiences we have been given to make us and those around us stronger through our lives. There is one night in my life that I know will stay with me for eternity. A chilly night in October of 2005 changed my life and many close to me forever. I was joyriding with my boyfriend down a country road when we lost control, crossed the median, and struck a tree. He was just 16 years old and I was 17. My neck was seriously injured so that I walk with a limp due to nerve damage to this day, and to make matters worse, I lost the love of my life that night. I had broken my neck in 8 places and my back in 7. While in the hospital I was given an almost unbearable amount of time to reflect on what happened and to think about where my future would take me as a result of this. I was thankful to have survived, but lost with where to go from here. I had decided to go to college, but college never seemed to fit my life, so I made the decision to try something new, helping the disabled. I now work with a few mentally challenged people and a handicapped individual. Everyday I go to work and look at this young man that is physically disabled and sit and thing, “that should be me”. He makes me more thankful for what I have, but in essence, I can respect what he has to go through more knowing that. It makes work fun, because I believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe this is the reason my life has put me through this, sort of as a test. In the short amount of time that I have been on this earth, I have learned that it can be a scary place. One minute you can be high on life and the next your gasping for the little bit of life you have left. Even when it seems your life is coming to an end, whether it be mentally, physically, or emotionally; if you have to willpower to live, you can achieve remarkable feats. Although, my mark in this small town is not much, i believe that to those I provide care for, I am their world, and I see that as the reason why I have pulled through since that chilly night in October.