The Day Santa Died

Samantha - Wilmington, Illinois
Themes: parenthood

Eventually everyone finds out there is no Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, or any other secretive person or animal. I believed Santa was real for a long time until fifth grade morning in my kitchen. Even though I was upset in the moment for why my mom went to the lengths to lie about Santa, I still enjoyed it while the believing lasted and I want my sisters to believe because I had fun with it and I know they do to.

On a school day, before I had breakfast, I was looking through an old oriental magazine of gifts and Christmas decorations. My sisters were downstairs watching TV before we had to catch the bus. My mom was eating breakfast and my dad was at work that morning. So while eating breakfast, I was a magazine and started flipping through the Christmas decoration section and throughout the gifts.

While flipping through the magazine my belief of Santa crumbled. I saw the gift I got in my stocking in the oriental trader magazine I was looking through. I found the coal gum that Santa gave me. All through elementary school, up until fifth grade I have always, with all my heart, believed that there was a Santa Clause, and that his elves made everything. So when I found the gift in the magazine I was very confused.

Since my sisters were not around, I felt it was safe to ask my mom if Santa Clause was real or not. So I did, once I asked I already knew the answer. I thought the answer would be,”ummmm, of course.” But to my surprise I was wrong. She said, “no”. At first I thought she was joking, but once I asked again and the answer was the same I was so horrified! I started crying so hard; my sisters came upstairs and asked what was wrong. I turned to my mom, and to still keep the belief going my mom said, “ Nothing, Sam just started having a stomach ache. ”Of course, my sisters were young and didn’t know any better so they believed my mom and did not ask any more questions. My mom felt bad about the whole thing and wondered if my sisters would be this upset when they would find out and wondered if she should tell them now. I said, “no,” it would not be fair. Just because I fell into hysterics, didn’t mean they would, and plus I had fun believing. The Santa Clause “play” gave me faith in something I couldn’t see. Since my mom felt so bad she said I could stay home from school that day. My mom and I keep the secret between us.

As I’ve said before I was horrified and confused when I found out the truth of Santa Clause, but I understood why my mom did this. It was fun to believe in something you would never see flying in the sky with reindeer of catch in the middle of the night putting presents under your Christmas tree. Compared to how I was feeling then, now I laugh about how upset I was but I still believe with my younger sisters. Even though I know Santa, The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and so on are not real, I still love to pretend and believe in Santa Clause with my sisters, and with myself also.