What is in your glass?

Misie - Menasha, Wisconsin
Themes: hope

I believe that my glass is half full and that life is filled with simple pleasures. My glass has not always been half full and until about 14 years ago, I had never even thought of simple pleasures. Most of my childhood and young adult life, my glass was half empty. Phrases like, “I am terrible,” “I am worthless,” “I am stupid” and “I am ugly,” were a part of my everyday life. That was until I met my Husband which was about 14 years ago as I mentioned above. My Husband’s glass is half full and many times his glass overflows into my glass. His favorite saying, which has now become something I use and share with others is “Simple Pleasures.” Some of my simple pleasures include the feeling I get when I see the sun rise, see my first robin in the spring, and see a monarch butterfly or two morning doves together. Simple pleasures can be anything you want them to be, big or small. You just need to be able to see that there are wonderful things around you and about you. Just being with my Husband each and everyday is another one of my simple pleasures. We do not even have to do anything, but just knowing he’s there and that we are partners in life makes me see the world differently. With his outlook on life and the encouragement and support he gives me, I have gone from a half empty glass to a half full glass. Now I use phrases like, “I am fine the way I am,” “I am worthy,” “I have intelligence” and “I am attractive”. I am not perfect and for me, that is OK. If my glass is getting half empty or is half empty, I have my Husband there to remind me that my glass is half full and to encourage me to remember about the simple pleasures in life. You have the ability to make the choice, will you be half full or half empty?