I Believe in ‘Word Action’

Dahlia - Durant, Oklahoma

I am an English Major at Southeastern Oklahoma State University and my emphasis is in writing. I will graduate in May of ’09. I’m often asked by so many as to what I want to be when I ‘grow up’. My reply to them simply is, ‘whatever I believe I can be.’ The world is an open canvas to me and my learning compatriots in that we all want to leave some part of ourselves behind. A legacy, as it were.

During my travels as a college student, I have met a large sum who believes wholeheartedly that what they plan to do when they graduate will impact the world somehow in some way. A history major unveiled an era to me that I had no particular fondness for, yet seeing it through his eyes, the way he explained to me the tragedies and heroism of the Civil War made it seem fresh and enticing.

While I held indifference toward safety majors, I got the off chance to meet a couple who proved that the concern of others were more than in just their minds, but their hearts as well. One of them graduated and now works for a corporation in Dallas, Texas. The other has a minor in my field and composes some of the most intuitive writings I’ve ever heard.

Art and theater majors are, perhaps, this nation’s most estranged, yet unbiased group of people diversity has to offer. With threats of banning the arts from high schools still looming in the horizon, these men and women, boys and girls have quite a struggle on their hands. I’ve seen them duke it out though. They’re formidable in both their performance as well as their gentle strokes.

Mathematicians are some of the hardest working and dedicated individuals I’ve had the opportunity to meet. I believe, the age old war between letters and numbers, the significance of each, and the struggle through two different languages will wage on indefinitely. At least there is a mutual meeting in the middle for both, because if ‘x’ and ‘y’ never met a number, how could we formulate the answer?

I believe I have the most respect for the men and women of sciences, be it for criminal justice, psychology, or the basic study of life. The minds of these learners must be conditioned and able to focus on the trials and tribulations of their studies. Committing oneself entirely plays an integral role to success and achievement, perhaps even a cure to a terminal disease. Our doctors and researchers are what come of this.

Perhaps the most important research anyone can do is the research of one’s own self. So many greet college life with fear, doubt, and apprehension. Don’t let me deter you. It’s worth it in the end and whatever path is taken, let it be the one that brings about your happiness. I believe that accomplishment is nothing without contentment. Love and Light.