I Believe in Change

Gypsi - Collinsville, Texas

I believe that Dr. Martin Luther King had a beautiful dream. He had a vision of equality in races—in viewing one another as persons and not by color. I, myself, have never looked at a person according to skin color. I look to what kind of person someone is within. I look for character.

The day Barack Obama became president I cried tears of joy. We finally have an African-American president! The fight of strong African-American people, such as Dr. Martin Luther King, had finally been substantiated in one of the most important days in history. Although, there is no doubt that there are still ignorant, racist people—a nation that I live in elected an African-American for the most prestigious job in the United States, and I’m proud to be a part of that.

I am a single mommy, and I believe that my beautiful, two-year-old daughter, who is Caucasian and African-American, will be able to accomplish many things that would not have been allowed to there in decades past. I believe that she is beautiful and special and that she will leave a special mark on the world. I am grateful that she is growing up in a time that is changing. I am grateful that changes are continuous, and I believe that things will continue to get better in a world that was for so long blinded by stupidity.

My hope for my child is that she can be proud of who she is—that she can see all the beauty that she possesses, and that she will never let anyone discourage her from anything that she wishes to accomplish. My hope is that she will not have to endure any racial discrimination, and that if she does she will not take it to heart and will understand that it is merely ignorance.

My hope as a mother is to ensure that my daughter is given every opportunity that I can possibly afford for her. I don’t want her to think that she is in any way lesser than any other person. I want her to be strong and reach her full potential. I would like to teach her the plight of her descendants, so she can appreciate the opportunities that she will have within her lifetime. She is so intelligent for her age, and she is as beautiful as an angel. She is only two, but you can see her self-confidence. She is told daily how special she is, and I pray that I can continue to give her that. I believe that she will shine.

I appreciate the African-Americans who stood up for their rights so that my daughter may have a better future. Thank you Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King, President Barack Obama, and so many others. Many sacrifices have been made, but I believe that change has begun, I believe that it will continue, and I believe that it is fantastic.